Saturday, May 14, 2011

I've been around the world and i-yi-yi

TAYLOR AGAIN!
Yes, that was a blatant old school Will Smith reference in the title of this post.
No, I am not embarrassed about this.


I finished up my finals yesterday and I am back in my hometown of Litchfield, CT. I've been thinking about unpacking, which translates to I've been staring at all the contents of the boxes in my room. Catching my eye (as usual) is my beat of pair of black high top Converse. My mom has been pressuring me to throw these shoes away for a very long time. Maybe they're not clean enough to be fashionable or even appealing anymore, but they have history. And I see the beauty in a pair of shoes that have traveled the world with me. When I wear my Chucks I'm carrying the best four months of my life with me. Last Spring I spent four months living in London, taking classes, interning, and travelling. My Converse were on my feet for most of these four months and I can't throw that away. I find merit in carrying memories of breath-taking travels and amazing friends with me every place I wear my sneakers. Here's some of the places my Chucks have been:


London, England - taken from the London Eye

Ireland Countryside (as well as Dublin)

Paris, France

Watching football in Hyde Park in London

Venice, Italy

The Colosseum in Rome, Italy

Hiking Holyrood Park in Edinburgh, Scotland (they also went to Loch Ness... no sign of the monster.)

Grizzly Bear concert at the Roundhouse in London (amazing concert by the way!)

Adventure Weekend in Pembrokeshire, Wales (hiking, sea kayaking, and coasteering)


Not all shoes have to be pretty. So... wear them in, get them dirty, put holes in the side
because in the end the memories will be worth it.

"Twenty years from now you will be more
disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the
ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your
sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment